HOKIANGA SUNSETS | Cycle Tour
3 night, 2 day cycle tour
Magical, untamed, mythical…are words that have been used to describe the Hokianga Harbour. This tour takes you on your bike from the bustling town of Kerikeri and off the beaten track to places some of the locals don’t even know exist! This is a fully supported, fully inclusive tour. Everything is organised for you and one of our experienced Tour Leaders will be with you. Our bikes are top quality e-bikes guaranteeing a comfortable and very enjoyable riding experience. With an e-bike you will be surprised at how far you can go. It’s a gentle relaxing tour, however our Tour Leader has options for the riders or walkers who need an extra challenge.
Northland is known as “the birthplace of New Zealand” and our tour immerses you in the rich history and culture of the area. The sub-tropical climate of Northland enables cycling all year round.
Friday | Arrival Day
Arrive and stay in Kerikeri. The accommodation is located at the hub of Kerikeri’s Saturday morning rituals. You are next door to the famous Makana Chocolate Factory and its very decadent Galleria. Directly across the road from The Packhouse Market – which is a feast of food, local produce, incredible coffee, arts and crafts, and live music.
Friday night – there are some lovely options for dining, with a vineyard or one of the local restaurants, or you can just relax in your spa bath! No time restraints - arrive at your leisure from 2pm.
Saturday | Day 1
- Travelling from Kerikeri to Horeke
- 42km cycling
- Departing Kerikeri at 10am
- Gives you time in the morning to enjoy the ambience on your doorstep!
- From Kerikeri we head to Kaikohe in the minibus and you join the Twin Coast Cycle Trail and head west taking you on a wonderful ride to Horeke and the Hokianga Harbour finishing at Mangungu Mission House which is the end of the Twin Coast Cycle Trail.
- This stunning spot is where the largest signing of the Treaty of Waitangi in the country took place here, with over 70 chiefs adding their assent before a crowd of up to 3,000 people.
- Staying at the historic Horeke Hotel right on the waters edge.
- This hotel is known as the first pub in NZ and is full of history. The chef cooks delicious homemade food with local produce and you will often find freshly caught snapper on your plate.
- A perfect spot to enjoy a few drinks, dinner and the glorious sunset.
Sunday | Day 2
- Travelling from Horeke to Omapere
- Minimum 30 kms, with plenty of options to do more cycling.
- Enjoy breakfast at the Hotel before catching the beautiful boat, the Ranui, which takes and your bike across the Harbour to the quirky villages of Kohukohu and Rawene which have art galleries, a heritage trail and cafes.
- With the aid of your E bikes you will head uphill and take a 16km journey where you can see the entire Hokianga Harbour and the surrounding maunga (mountains) a breathtaking view – and something hardly anyone ever does!
- Our destination for the afternoons ride is the dramatic South Heads at the Hokianga Harbour mouth, where you will experience the magical sunset and feel the cultural significance of this area.
- Your resting place this evening is the Copthorne Hotel which is situated on the waterfront with breathtaking views of the sand dunes across the harbour.
Monday | Day 3
- Travelling Omapere to Kerikeri
- Cycling distance – determined by you!
- Enjoy the buffet breakfast at the hotel.
- Early morning Waipoua Forest ride or a walk on the cliff tops of South Heads.
- Arriving back in Kerikeri by midday.
HOKIANGA SUNSETS TOUR
3 nights’ accommodation. All rooms are twin or double ensuite rooms. Single supplements available. Fully supported tour with Tour leader escorting you with a luxury minibus. Options to upgrade to even more luxury on the Sunday night, to include your own private deck with a hot tub, and indoors a fireplace, luxury bath and monsoon shower for two. Just ask!
All meals from first Lunch on Saturday or Wednesday until final breakfast.
All transfers during the tour as well as ferry fares. Top quality E-bikes with gel seats and secure parking in Kerikeri.
Please note coffees, alcohol and extra drinks are at your own expense.
We encourage you to stay a while in this amazing part of the world. We can arrange accommodation and activities for you at competitive rates.
- Day trip on the Tall Ship “R Tucker Thompson”
- A scenic helicopter ride out to the famous Hole in the Rock.
- Scuba dive in the marine reserve of Deep Water Cove where HMS Canterbury lies, or the Rainbow Warrior not far away in the Cavalli Islands
- See the bay from up high – with a Parasail or Skydive
- Swim with the dolphins
- Explore the Bay of Islands by yacht, kayak or motor boat
- Hook a snapper and have it cooked for dinner at a restaurant in town or go for that TROPHY FISH & catch a Marlin!
- World class golf courses
- Walk the islands
- Day trip to Cape Reinga where the Tasman Sea meets the Pacific Ocean in a spectacular swirl of currents and where Maori spirits begin their final journey.
- Enjoy a traditional hangi and cultural show
- Take a vineyard tour with detours to a boutique chocolate factory and cheese factory OR cycle some more!
We are passionate about the region and making sure that visitors have the best experience!